Friday, July 20, 2007

And then Costa Rica was washed away



Today I went out into the field by myself, and that was fun. For a while the sun was out, and then it rained and rained. It downpoured, according to Tracy. So, I sat there for 20 minutes on my piece of plastic bag, huddled with my backpack (which contained my camera--in a ziploc) under my umbrella. It was raining so hard that there were solid streams of water coming off the corners. I saw a furry caterpillar climb up a stem and lift its head and tail and just wait...it had drops caught in its fur.

On the way back, the river had risen so high that it was difficult to get across--I zipped off my pantlegs (hooray for convertible pants!!!!), took off my socks, and waded across with my boots absolutely full of water. I saw a beautiful butterfly, and realized when I was back at the gardens that I'd forgotten my umbrella somewhere.



I also saw some amazing ginger flowers. This is just one of several.

1 comment:

soap said...

ooooohhhhhh i just wrote this whole thing, then when i went to publish the post and had to go get a user name, then i lost the post......

here it is again:

i just found this blog today, so i went and read some of the back posts...... vonnegut is one of my favorite authors. this is a comment on that post, though i love the current post, especially the photos of the host(ess) of this blog in the jungle

i found out in june, that kurt vonnegut junior ( the author) owned a frank duveneck painting " the whilstling boy", which he got form his father, who got the painting (bought) the painting from the artist frank duveneck. that would be the father in law of josephine w duveneck.

i found this out when i read dead eye dick. the author told us that before he launched into the fiction part of the book, because he has the painter frank duveneck visit the studio of his fictitious painter in this story.

so that's my comment, out of context as it may be