Friday, June 5, 2009

[edit1] Fifty ways... (or, In Which I make a List)

Ya gotta practice your patois, sirrah,
Grab your effects, Tex,
Fold your apparel, Carol,
And get yourself prepped.

Get that last shot, Scott,
Don't need to discuss much,
Just shoulder your pack, Mack,
And go to Philly...

...Or Mauritania. Or both, ideally.

This is another one of those "For my benefit rather than yours" posts--see subtitle for further explication. One goal I have for Mauritania (RIM) packing is that I WILL be able to walk while carrying all my stuff, unlike when I packed for Madagascar. Also, unlike when I packed for Madagascar, I will NOT forget my pajamas. That said, here's the edited-once-over list, although I expect to cut things out of it.

APPAREL
2 pairs tevaflops
1 pair patagonias
1 pair sneakers
6 socks
2-4 bandanas
1 buff
1 pair drawstring pants
1 longsleeve t-shirt
1-2 shade shirts
4 ankle-length skirts
2 cotton slips
2-4 t-shirts
1 pagne complet
4 sports bras
20 pairs underwear
2 tank tops
1 hooded sweatshirt
1 pair fleece pants
1 Tilley Hat
bathing suit

TEÇÇIE GEAR
Sunlinq 25W (12V) folding solar panel
Tekkeon MyPowerAll and apparati
Solar battery charger and apparati
EeePC and apparati
Eneloop batteries (AA and AAA)
Petzl headlamp
plug converter
surge protector
flashdrives
watch + extra
maglight replacement bulb
2 maglights
clock replacement batteries
travel alarm clock
Canon S5-IS digital camera and ~7 GB of memory in SD cards
mini tripod
pair Nikon Monarch 8x42 binoculars (feeling ambivalent about taking them)
headphones
microfiber towels

MAINTENANCE, EXTRAS

Me:
2 40oz Klean Kanteens
1 2.0L Platypus bottle
36 water purification tabs (emergency)
Backpacker firestarter thingwop, lighter
2 divacups
sheet
towel
2 bottles shampoo
soap dish
soap
first aid kit, pads, pills, tape, ace band
hair stuff
umbrella
1 or 2 deoderants
tooth powder and 2 lotions
spare glasses
toothbrush
razors
superglue
cloth tape
sunglasses
3 journals
2 little notebooks
moleskine book-in-which-to-write-lists
pens, pencils, erasers
pictures of friends and family

Relationships:
address book
stamps
presents for my host family (dollar store stuff)

OmniUse:
mini buck knife
whetstone
leatherman
1 paring knife (homemade)
scissors
duct tape
sewing kit
lids for platy
Carabiners
700-lb string

LUXURY:

frisbee
Give Me The Brain
1 deck playing cards
mandolin, pitch pipe, picks, and strings
fife

BOOKS

Chayanov's Theory of Peasant Economy (of questionable use)
The Screwtape letters
The Elegant Universe
last two song I&F
frenglish dict
KJV bible

FOOD

spices (especially Italian spice mix)
clif bars/candy/comfort snacks

PAPERS
letters from kids
travel pouch w/ dox
paperwork
cash and sneakpouch
voided check
immunization history
2 WHO cards
Passport

CONTAINERS

yellow drybag
green drybag
yellow otterbox with lock
yellow otterbox with lock
black Otterbox with lock
timbuk2 bag
big pack
backpack with lock
1 padlock
various small cloth bags and pouches

JURY IS OUT ON...

tent
sleeping bag patch
slackline


[Note 1 from edit 1: Some of you may be wondering why I continue to post this list, and why I persisted in posting the Madagascar list--it's because I know this blog is very googleable and I really enjoyed crawling through everyone else's lists for packing. It's part of the waiting game. Also, I keep hearing about how PC/RIM people recommend bringing pillows, pillows, pillows, because you can't get a good pillow in PC/RIM. I'm not that much of a pillow person, so I'm not bringing one, but I hereby fully accept responsibility for being pillowless...]

[Note 2 from edit 1: The word 'Teççie' is not a real word, I know. But try spelling it with a "ch" instead, and see how wrong it looks. Techie doesn't look right--it needs a doubled letter somewhere in there. Tecchie looks wormlike, Techhie looks like it ran into a wall, and Techchie looks like some cutesy brand name neoprene slipcover--one step from TechChic, into which I refuse to buy. Luckily, the diacritical mark adds a verbal 'h' to the letter (or, it does in Turkey, and that's good enough for me). Thus do I circumvent the awkward word. Which should really be spelled awkword. /explanation]

No comments: