Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Well Update

I do not like asking for money, so I'm not going to.

Appropriate Projects funded my well project, though, and they asked me to post the link to the project page on their site.

I appreciate that they are funding this, and there are a couple pictures of my site up there, too, so if only for the photo value (and to boost their hits, which I think helps them in some obscure-to-me way), you might want to check it out.

But I don't want you to contribute money because it's my project. If you think it's a good idea, or for some reason would back it even if I were not involved, then by all means, please contribute. But I hate, absolutely can't stand, it when people hit up family and friends for money.

I guess that's more than enough overclarification.

2 comments:

Averill Strasser said...

Katherine:

Thanks for posting this. If I may, I'd like to add my two cents.

I also hate it when PCVs, who are doing so much, are asked to hit up their friends and family. We do not make it a requirement, but only offer it as an option if the PCV wants to.

We recently funded a Peace Corps Partnership Program project in full. We got an angry email from the PCV saying: "How dare you "swoop in" and fund my project, and deprive my friends and family of the opportunity to help me with my project!" Go figure.

We are volunteers, working full time without pay, and paying our own travel and administrative expenses. 100% of every donation goes directly to projects in the field.

I spend a lot of my time trying to get big companies and and organizations to fund PCV projects. That is our main funding approach, as $500 from a company is a lot easier than aggregating $20 from Aunt Sally and $15 from Cousin Richard.

In the past 2 years, we have funded 260 projects in 60 countries.

So, Aunt Sally, if you're out there, we'll gratefully accept your $20. If your husband's law firm would like to "adopt" Katherine's project, we would be more than grateful (if that is possible). I would get my $500 back, and use it to fund the next project in Senegal. (We have funded 32 to date, and have lined up a foundation to provide matching funds for 25 more.)

We are extremely grateful to you and all the other PCVs who carry out such great projects with such a small amount of money.

Regards,

Averill Strasser, COO
RPCV, Bolivia ('66-'68)

Water Charity
http://watercharity.org

Appropriate Projects
http://appropriateprojects.com

Katherine Crocker said...

Averill,

Thanks so much for your clarification. I definitely appreciate the thought process behind it, and am glad that you aren't offended by my post. You're completely right, and I'm glad you took the time to post. Thanks again, so much, and we'll be in touch soon with "We're finished!" photos.

Best,
Katherine